My Access Solution

T

trill

What I needed:
1. full access to insert, edit, delete (only for me, the "admin")
2. restricted public access (only search, show records and details)

I noticed that it was "all or nothing" as far as this goes. I searched the forum and found many good ideas but the answers were incomplete. After looking at the scripts I figured that I'd have to rewrite much of the code, unless.....

I simply used a fine tool like phpmyedit in conjunction with dadabik.
Works great! I have full admin rights through both, and have the control and protection I need. Here's how I did it:

1. Setup the mysql table correctly with a unique reference ID.
2. Installed & configured dadabik as outlined. Disabled insert, delete, and edit in the admin. I then moved admin.php, internal_table_manager.php, and install.php to a diff (closed) dir on server since they will not be needed (can always move the back if I need them, but did this for security)
3. installed phpmyedit in a dir parallel to the dadabik dir like this:
/www/dadabik_dir
/www/php_my_edit_dir
4. ran the phpmyedit setup to call up the main table I am using.
5. setup simple .htaccess in the phpmyedit dir since this needs protection.

That's it! dadabik provides the nice searching/viewing of records for the public, and phpmyedit allows me (and only me) to to maintain the db. It works awesome and I have over 850 records using 17 fields.

Neither program seems to care about the other - there are no conflicts. This combo has provided me with a nice administrator section for the db. Just thought I'd let ya'll know.

btw, good work eugenio - works great for what i need.
maybe some ideas to ponder for future releases though....

/trill

T

trill

You can grab phpmyedit here:
http://phpmyedit.org/home.php

/trill

A

Aivars

How about multiple instances od the DaDaBIK in differend directories. Each with different values for $prefix_internal_tables and $table_list_name in configuration file?

T

trill

Yeah, I just learned how this is done. Eugenio explains how to do this here:
http://www.dadabik.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1444&t=1269